1. A table or tray strewn with sand, anciently used for
drawing, calculating, etc.
2. A calculating table or frame; an instrument for performing
arithmetical calculations by balls sliding on wires, or counters in
grooves, the lowest line representing units, the second line, tens,
etc. It is still employed in China.
3. The uppermost member or division of the capital of a
column, immediately under the architrave. See Column.
4. A tablet, panel, or compartment in ornamented or mosaic
5. A board, tray, or table, divided into perforated
compartments, for holding cups, bottles, or the like; a kind of
cupboard, buffet, or sideboard.